Earlier this week one of my friends asked on my Facebook page if I had any resources to prove the value of attending a company meeting or conference. I started digging around the Internet and found nothing!
So then I started thinking, surely there must be something out there about the ROI for companies that hold meetings and conventions, as opposed to the benefits to the attendees. Nope. Nothing!
I was able to find many articles and reports and white papers about how companies and organizations should be measuring the success of their events, and how to do that. But nothing outlining specific outcomes that attendees or companies have gotten from holding sales meetings.
As a former direct selling leader and company trainer I definitely “feel” the value of regional and national conventions. And now as a professional speaker for various company conventions, I am seeing that nothing has changed. People get pumped up! They’re on FIRE after they leave convention!
No webinar, or teleclass, or skype call can take the place of those live gatherings! I just could not believe no one has ever “proven” that! What exactly is the ROI of holding or attending a direct selling convention? What % of sales go up? How many distributors stay active one more year because of convention?
If you know of any resources outlining these hard facts, please share in the comments.
In the mean time, I’ve come up with what I know and what I’ve seen are the “soft” results:
Benefits to direct selling company for providing regional or leadership meetings and conventions:
• increased faith in or positive impression of the company and brand
• motivate sales, incentivize the field
• increased team and company loyalty
• retention/lowered attrition in sales force
• sharing success stories from the field, providing proof of what’s possible
• opportunity to enroll the field in company culture and mission
• promote out leaders during awards banquet (thereby motivating others)
• new product launch, building excitement
• incentive trip reveal which motivate higher sales and sponsoring goals
Benefits to direct sales distributors attending regional or leadership meetings and conventions:
• consultants feel supported and connected to company, leaders and each other
• learn new skills and strategies to be successful faster
• seeing and meeting other reps in person
• opportunity to connect with and support their personal team
• learning from field sales leaders, hearing their success stories
• receive recognition and/or promotion to next level at banquet
• opportunity to learn about and perhaps receive new product early
• learn about next incentive trip or other contests early
• it’s a fun “getaway” with like minded people who become instant friends
What others can you think of?
If you are an independent distributor for a direct selling company, fill out the survey and help me get the word out to companies that are curious about how to have more effective (and compelling) meetings. I will post the results (anonymous) in a future blog post.
Scroll down to see all the questions. Your replies are completely anonymous!