[NOTE: ContactMe has announced they are shutting down as of March 2016. I will update this article when I find a replacement!]
One of the down sides of using Facebook Pages for business is there is no built-in way to capture visitor’s information so you can more easily communicate off of Facebook. Luckily, ContactMe has an application that allows you to create a tab on your Facebook Page to do just that. You can use their form template to either invite your visitors to message you, or to let you know what products or services they are interested in, or to request to be added to your email list. Just about anything you’d like them to be able to communicate can be done through one of these customizable forms. ContactMe is also a contact management system but in this post I will only address how to set up the Facebook tab itself, which is free.
Step by Step Instructions:
1. Visit ContactMe.com and click on Sign Up for Free. Note: If you are using Chrome as your browser, you may want to switch to another for the setup process, as there are some difficulties with Chrome.
2. Create an account with your email address and password of your choice.
3. SKIP the step to import your contacts and click on Complete Your Profile.
4. Add your basic business information and upload a logo or your picture. Then Save.
5. After you Save you will be brought to the panel below. Skip the Contact Button (unless you have a website or blog where you can control the coding, if you’d like to embed this same form there). Instead click on the words Contact Form at the top left, or at the very top.
6. Click on Edit Form and then you will be able to customize what information you would like to collect.
7. Fill out the Business Name and upload an image that you would like to appear on the form itself. Then add fields such as checkboxes or radio buttons to ask additional questions. Be sure to click Apply at the bottom to save your form fields.
8. After you’ve saved your form you will see this panel again with a notice that everything has been saved. Now click on the Facebook logo to visit the Facebook App page.
9. You will be brought to the Contact Me App Page on Facebook. Click on Go to App.
10. Click on the orange Get Started on the resulting page.
11. Select your Page Name from the drop down menu and then click the blue Add ContactMe button.
12. Your ContactMe tab is now installed on your page, but likely hidden under other tabs. To find it click the little arrow on the far right of the visible tabs, and then find the Contact tab and click that.
13. It will then ask you to START an account – but we already have one. Go ahead and give them the email you used when you signed up and the next page will ask for your existing account’s password. If you get any messages that pop up asking for permission to allow this application, go ahead and agree.
14. Voila! Your form is now fully functional. As the owner or admin of the Page you can edit it any time by clicking the Customize My Form. This is not visible to your visitors, and will bring you to the ContactMe website.
15. Since your Contact form was somewhat hidden, you may want to move it up closer to the top row. Do this by going back to the area where you saw it (clicking the little arrow on the right) and then click the little pencil on the top right corner of the tab. Select a DIFFERENT tab you already have to SWAP positions with. So for example, most Pages have their Likes visible (the number of “fans” they have) but it isn’t necessary to have that right on top, especially since that number appears near the Page title. So you would select Likes from this drop down list and your new Contact tab will now be where the Like tab was.
16. You may want to also change the image that shows for this tab. The ContactMe program automatically includes an image of a “rolodex” style card, indicating a contact form. This image is just fine! But if you’d like to get creative and make a new image of your own, you can do so as long as it measures 111 x 74 pixels. You would change the tab image by clicking on Edit Settings. You can also change the name of the tab, so where it says simple Contact, you can change it to Contact Me, or I could change it to Contact Karen, or something else you’d like.
That’s it! I hope this was helpful. If you have questions or comments please leave them below. If you’ve successfully installed this, feel free to leave your link in the comments area as well so we can check out how you are using it!
For more step by step tutorials, consider joining my Take Action Social Media course. An on-demand virtual training center that includes audio, video, and PDF training in Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and Pinterest.