I have found that there are themes to each social media platform. Each has its own flavor, purpose, and audience. Here is what I think. How about you?
Twitter is about SHARING
- Meeting new people through SEO
- Getting referrals through Retweets
- Sharing with like-minded people by following them
LinkedIn is about EXPERTISE
- Start by filling out your profile completely (with good keywords in your name)
- Participate in Groups – add articles, blog posts/news, discuss subjects of interest
- Ask and answer questions in “LinkedIn Answers” regularly
Facebook is about COMMUNITY LOYALTY
- Use a Business (Fan) Page in addition to your Profile
- Focus on casual social interaction for best results, sprinkled with business
- Aim for referrals and sharing ideas/tips that are shareable.
Blogging is about CONTENT
- Search engines love relevance, freshness, and links
- Your blog is an instrument of service to the world – be helpful
- Participate in the blogosphere, on your own blog and others
What do you think? I know there is some overlap. I guess in reality each one could serve the same purpose as the others but in general I do think they have these more dominant sides, don’t you?